At least 13 children died from suspected and confirmed measles infections across the country in the 24 hours till 8am Saturday, pushing the overall death toll from the ongoing outbreak above 512, according to the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS).
Of the deaths, one was confirmed measles case and 12 others died from measles-related symptoms.During the same 24 period, 1,967 new suspected measles cases were reported while 165 new cases were confirmed through testing.
Since March 15, a total of 426 deaths from suspected measles and 86 confirmed measles deaths have been recorded nationwide.
The DGHS said Dhaka and Sylhet divisions reported the highest number of suspected measles deaths during the latest reporting period, with four deaths each. Dhaka district also recorded a confirmed measles death.
Since March 15, the country has recorded 62,507 suspected measles cases and 8,494 confirmed infections, according to the Health Emergency Operation Center and Control Room of the DGHS.
The health authorities said 49,389 suspected measles patients have been admitted to hospitals since the outbreak began, while 45,011 patients have so far been discharged after recovery.